Monday, October 5, 2009

Home Sweet Home!

It happened! It actually happened! Many of you out there may be surprised to learn that Christian and I have been trying to purchase a house that we fell head over heals in love with way back in March. That's right, seven months ago on March 10th, we found a lovely house that was over flowing with potential, and we both felt right at home in it. So we placed a bid, and have been fighting an uphill battle to finalize and close on this home ever since. But as of this past Wednesday the papers were signed and we are the official owners of this colonial built in 1825!The history of the home was one of the many features we simply adore. It is one of the oldest homes in the town, and although it is not marked as historic due to the numerous additions built throughout it's life, the house is bursting with character. It was a farm house that was on close to 100 acres of land. As the years went by, the land was divided up and sold, until we were left with our almost half an acre, which by Jersey standards might as well be an entire farm.The living room is so full of light and has a rather relaxing air about it. I'm hoping to create a more formal sitting area, and at some point in my life I will be the proud owner of a piano which will grace the opposite side of this room and fill the house with beautiful music.The stair well has a maple banister with hand-spun wood balusters. The design is very simple, but you can really see the quality and craftsmanship in each spindle.I love standing in the dinning room and imagining the many meals shared within those walls. I can easily picture a family cooking a Sunday dinner in the fire place, with children shucking ears of corn at the table, or kneaded dough for fresh bread.
One of the more recent previous owners raised their family in the home and lived there for over fifty years. The children's growth charts, from the day they were born until their early twenties are still on the bedroom door. (There was a chart on the closet door too, but sadly, someone during the seven months while we were fighting for the house came in and stole the door. Very upsetting to loose a piece of history like that.)The same owners built a family room off to the side of the house. After meeting several of our new neighbors we discovered that our neighbor who lives across the street from us was the contractor that built the addition over twenty years ago. The most recent owners made an attempt to upgrade the house, but unfortunately due to financial issues were unable to finish their projects. They were two chefs, and I'm sure they had an idea to make a grand gourmet kitchen. The existing kitchen is functional, but rather narrow. At some point down the road Christian and I would like to see what we can to bring this kitchen to modern standards while still holding onto the integrity of a house close to 200 years old.One project they were able to complete was giving the master bedroom a truly remarkable cathedral ceiling. They took up more than half the attic space to create such a grandiose statement, but I don't mind the lack of storage in the slightest. (We have a full attic above the two car garage that I'm sure we'll end up filling with Christmas decor and camping equipment at some point.)Christian and I have quite the project on our hands to bring this house back to life. It was a foreclosure and for the past year and half no one was living there, so needless to say there is a substantial amount of work ahead of us. But it will be exciting to have a place that is solely ours, and a place to create a little family in. So in the months ahead I'll try to post a few before and after photos so you may share with us the joy of witnessing such a miraculous house rejuvenated and thriving once again.

9 comments:

Meaghan said...

Congratulations! I love the house, and I can't wait to see pictures of what you do with the place! I love places with history and character (and I especially love those hardwood floors!). So glad you were able to get the house you've wanted!

Alex said...

Nice! Something tells me that the day you found the house was a very important day ;)

Unknown said...

Gorgeous! What a great find, Taryn! I look forward to seeing the before and afters!!!

Kara said...

That looks so cool! I love old houses.

Mandy and Chris said...

What a beauty! can't wait to see what you do with it!! I love character in houses!!

Anonymous said...

I've been sitting on pins and needlies hoping you two would get the house. I loved going through it with you back in May. the place is GREAT. I really liked the library room. Way cool. Now, I've got to start sending you some books. I'm looking forward to seeing with you and Christain living IN the house when I'm back east this coming May.
Dad

Jackie said...

How exciting! That would be such a fun project to work on and knowing it is your own home makes it all the better! Good luck with it all. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Dani said...

What a gorgeous home! I love all the history and hardwood. I cannot wait to see it with all your belongings in it.

Gabby said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! So fun to randomly find people.

Congrats on the house. It's BEAUTIMOUS! (Oh, and I also love that skinny pedestal table you found on the street -- score!)

-- Gabby

nonchalantgirl.blogspot.com

(What kind of craft ideas were you looking for? I may not make much now ... but I know tons of places to find ideas! ^_^)