Friday, March 27, 2009

Revolving door

I made it through my third surgery yesterday. I wasn't nearly as nervous this time. After all, in the last 7 months spending time in a hospital has become a common experience for me. Everything leading up to the surgery went well. I was wheeled into the OR at a quarter to twelve and by three o'clock I was in the recovery room.

As I was lying in bed I heard the voice of my orthopedic surgeon asking one of the nurses for me. He came to my bedside and I asked him how it went. I could barely keep my eyes open, but I saw on his face disappointment. He looked at me and shared the news that my bone was not stable enough on it's own, so he had to put in another plate. "Nooooo!" I cried out to him in my weak scratchy voice. This was the last thing I wanted. I was looking forward to getting my life back on track and really working on healing my shoulder. But my body just isn't ready for that. After 7 months of trying to get the bone back into one piece, it still had a long way to go.

So I'm not sure what this new plate is like, as it's under layers of gauze and tape. He did tell me that it is a smaller plate, and smoother. Regardless I'm still very bummed from the outcome of yesterday's surgery. I see my surgeon on April 3rd, so I'll ask more questions then. For now, I'm struggling with my acceptance of the plate. There isn't a thing I can do about it, but I'm sure as heck not thrilled about it.

1 comment:

Momma K said...

Dang, that's hard! Glad you came through okay, though.