Monday, February 9, 2009

GROSS!!!

If you're at all the squeamish type, you may want to shy away from reading this post. There are photos that might gross you out. (Keith, this means you... do not read this one buddy!)

I went to pay a visit to my plastic surgeon this afternoon for two reasons.

Reason 1) Because the plate that is still holding my clavicle together is lifted, it is stretching my skin and at the very edge of the plate the skin is so thin you can make out the perfect "silver lining" (Ha!) of the plate. I needed to find out if my skin will hold strong for another month, or if I needed to have another surgery to plump up the skin with new tissue. Thankfully he feels that I can baby the skin until March when the plate is going to be removed.Reason 2) Because I had another string eroding my skin and creating a hole.... or so I thought! I sat down on the table and showed him my "string" and he took a tool, poked at it, which of course I was just thrilled with... then he said that it felt like it might be string with wire. WIRE?!? So he tells me to work with him on this... I take a deep breath and he gently pulls out this....
WHAT THE HECK!!! Its a metal pin! (I put it next to a nickel for size comparison, but golly!) At first we thought it was one of my five screws... but I told him that on the x-rays you can clearly see the threads on the screws and this was totally smooth, like a tack nail. Its very pointy on the end, just like a nail, and it clearly has been snipped with wire cutters on the other end! He thinks that this was used to hold some of the pieces of the bone together. (I guess a plate with five screws isn't enough! Sheesh!)

I will be so thankful when March rolls around and we can remove all foreign objects, all plates, all screws, all strings, all pins, and anything else that is lurking beneath the cover my skin! YUCK!

3 comments:

suzanne said...

Okay that was really weird looking. I'm sorry you are having to deal with all of this. Just heal up already! Glad you have good docs there that will fix you all up! Thanks for keeping us posted!

Momma K said...

Holy crow, Taryn. I just spent an hour having to go back and read your blog from the beginning to get a take on the clavicle saga. Man, that's rough! Glad to hear it will be over soon!

Unknown said...

Ew. That was gross. You were right. However, I looked at the picture without reading first and thought they pulled a nickle out of you. . .
I'm glad your medical journey is nearly over! I hope you're planning a big celebration! You deserve it big time. :)