Friday, August 7, 2009

The Clavicle Saga is Back!

I haven't had much to write about in the past few months when it came to the never ending clavicle saga. Don't let this entry fool you. There really isn't too much to say, but I did pay a visit to my orthopedic surgeon this morning so I thought I'd share the newest findings with you.

First let me say that I'm a pro at these follow-up visits. I've been doing them for almost a full year now. (August 27th will be my one year anniversary of breaking my collar bone! My goodness!) This visit was probably around the 40th time I've sat in his office. So I was prepared with a thick book, and my trusty "posh" sudoku travel book. It's not uncommon to wait for a room for 45+ minutes. Today however was unlike any visit I've had to endured in the waiting room.

I was scheduled for a 9:30 appointment, and of course being the uber neurotic person that I am, I made sure I was there 15 minutes early. I sat in the waiting room till 10:20. Okay, an hour is not terribly bad, especially when you're prepared and know you'll be will waiting. They stuck me in an exam room, and the doc came in right away. I was in shock, I'm usually left alone for at least ten or fifteen minutes. He looks at my shoulder, touches the skin which has grown sensitive again, and sends me down the hall for the ever popular x-ray.

I grab my bag and book and leave my room knowing that in the waiting room full of patients one lucky person will snag my desired room. Snap, snap! Two x-rays taken. And now I wait for a room to open so that I can see the doc and see my ever healing bone. Finally at 11:00 a room opens up, and I walk back down the hall, sit on the table covered in paper and begin to wait.

I wait. And wait. And wait. I read over 100 pages in my book, have finished two sudoku puzzles and have had people check in on me so that I know they haven't forgotten that I'm there. Finally the doc graces me with his presence, spends probably three minutes with me and tells me we'll meet again in November. I leave his office at noon and even though I have be there for close to three hours, some how I still have a smile on my face because what else can you do? No point in getting all huffy, right?

Anyway, in those three minutes I saw my clavicle, and it still looks pretty darn good. The plate looks like it's still in the right position, snug against the bone. I'm overly worried that it might shift or begin to lift again, so I always check. Surprisingly I still have a small area that has yet to fuse. Am I the slowest healer on the planet or what? I informed him that I will be starting school again in the fall, and I would like to have my final surgery to remove the plate on my winter break. So we both agreed that December sounds like a good plan. So there you have the newest addition to the clavicle saga. Hopefully we won't have another update till my next visit with him in November.


Dani said...

What a great attitude! At least there was good news at the end of all that wait. By the way, I love the name plate that you made for your niece. It was so beautiful! I am thinking I might need to make one for Taytum.

Stephanie Behling said...

You broke your clavicle on my birthday?! Oh, my poor birthday is cursed now!;)