Monday, August 3, 2009

Aunt Taryn's Gift to Shayla

This past weekend I completed my first gift for my niece Shayla. I wanted to create something special for her, something that perhaps one day she could look at and say, "My Aunt Taryn made that for me when I was two weeks old." I made her a wall hanging of her beautiful name. I tried to use a sophisticated color palette, so that it was something she might not out grow.

When I lived in Oregon I use to always have little craft projects going. I had a closet full of supplies, the inspiration seemed endless, and some how I always found time. 95% of the things I made were gifts for those I cared about. Since moving out to East Coast, going to school, working at the office, taking care of a home,and the buzz of every day life, I had forgotten about my passion for crafting. So when this idea of making a gift for Shayla developed I was thrilled, and determined to make it as perfect as her.
My supplies for the project. Not everything you see above made it onto the wall hanging, but thats okay. It shows a sense of reserve, and balance. Picking out the right color scheme was probably the most time consuming. I didn't want it to be too "baby-ish", but at the same time I didn't want it to be too mature. I would have to say that I spent close to an hour in the scrapbook isle finding the perfect papers. (The employees at the store must have thought I was bonkers!)
The finished project. (If you click on the photo it should enlarge to see the finer details) I gave it a slightly distressed look with chalking around the edge of the larger letters, I filled the edges of smaller letters to reveal the white core of the paper, and I used a charcoal colored ink pad around the edge of the background paper to help it blend with painted wood molding.

I'm am so grateful for my new little niece. Because of her I have a greater understanding and a deeper love for my own Aunt. My Aunt Irene made things for me all the time as a kid. I always admired her work, and use to watch her paint for hours. The pieces she made for me are so special, and I am so blessed to have them as a reminder of her love for me. I want to be the Aunt to Shayla that my Aunt Irene was to me. They're big shoes to fill, but in a way, while I was making this gift for my niece, it was as if I could feel my Aunt Irene standing by my side, watching me work, and if she was there I think she would have been proud of what I created for my niece.

1 comment:

Mandy and Chris said...

cute, Taryn!!! what a thoughtful aunt you are! Shayla is blessed to have such a loving family.