Sunday, August 23, 2009

New Hope

This weekend Christian and I spent the day in New Hope, Pennsylvania. It's a town on the Delaware River that is filled with many wonderful art galleries, cafes, and hand crafted knick-knack shoppes. The town has this very eclectic feel about it, as it attempts and successfully balances old world charm with modern art pieces. The buildings were clearly colonial, and yet many of them displayed and/or sold contemporary pieces. It was great fun to see such a contrast.We took a soothing, slow-paced boat ride down the Delaware in the heat of the day. It was great to be on the water and just feel the gentle rock of the boat swaying to and fro underneath us. While out on the river we saw a family of deer, a mother and her two fawns, swimming to the shore line. It had never occurred to me that deer might actually be able to swim with those twig-like legs that carry them around, but there I was witnessing it with my own two eyes. We also were lucky enough to see a blue herring, turtles, swans, lots of geese and ducks, teens tubing down the river, and an insane jet skier who liked to do what I could only describe as donuts in the water.I mentioned that we saw turtles. I took this photo and at the time I only saw one turtle, but after putting it on my computer I was amazed at just how many there were. How many turtles do you see? (Click on the photo to enlarge it)Finally, this last photo has become my favorite from the trip. I feel that it captures the true essence of New Hope. Peaceful, quiet, and inviting. Although it's a bit out of the way to get to, it's well worth the trip. I must agree that the town has been aptly name. After spending a day there, you do leave with a new found hope.

No comments: