Monday, October 26, 2009

New Traditions

Today, October 26th, would have been my Aunt's 63rd birthday. I've been really nervous about today because I honestly didn't know how I was going to get through the day. It's been on my mind all month. Last night, as I stood in my new back yard, I gazed up into the heavens and every star I saw I made a wish. I wished for my family to have a good day on my Aunt's birthday and I wished for my Aunt to hear our thoughts to her so that we may share or love on her special day.I can only speak for myself but I know that today has been emotional for me, however it has been a beautiful day, and my heart is full of love and peace. Today is a momentous day, it's the day that my Aunt was brought into this world. I feel no sadness today. Although it is hard not having her here with me to call and sing "Happy Birthday" to, I know that because she is my family's angel not only can she hear my thoughts, but the thoughts of my grandmother, my Dad, and without a doubt my cousin (her son) have been ringing in her ears all day today. So I've been singing to her all day long. It's been the best!
I also decided to start a tradition. To celebrate her birthday I made sure to have chocolate cake. (Her favorite was black forest cake, but I 'm pretty sure that no one here on the east coast has ever heard of black forest cake, so I had to substitute with a different cake. Next year I'm making black forest cake from scratch just for her!) I sliced up extra pieces and gave them to my in-laws so that they may share in the celebration of my Aunt's birthday. I loved today because I knew that my Aunt was closer than ever! And some day, when we meet again our entire family, generation after generation, will sit down together to celebrate a joyous occasion, such as this, and there will be cake. There will be lots and lots of heavenly cake!

No comments: