Saturday, May 8, 2010

Letting go

I've always been the kind of person that is rather particular about my belongings. It was a big deal for me as a kid to purchase an item that wasn't a "hand-me-down." So when I made the decision to spend my money on something I had to make sure I really-REALLY liked it. Well, today I'm finally letting go of two of my childhood buys. They seem like nothing really to people who don't understand me, but I've been holding on to, and still utilizing, these two items since I was in high school.

The photo below is of a wallet I bought at Wal-mart when I was a freshman. I really loved it because the cover shifts colors as you tilt it back and forth. It also makes a fun little zip sound when you run your finger over it, kind of like a wash-board. Only once did I have the fear of it being stolen. (The day I met Christian in Las Vegas actually.) It has been my faithful companion all through living in Oregon, living in New York, and living in New Jersey. Well, today my husband bought me a new wallet. A wallet that an adult would be proud to pull out of their pocket book. A wallet made of leather, not plastic like my old one. And a wallet that still has the "Taryn factor," of feel good colors.The second item has literally taken me places. I purchased a pair of sneakers from Payless Shoe Source when I was a sophomore for $12.99. (I remember the price because it was a penny away from my family's lucky number 13. Little did I know just how lucky these shoes would be for me.) I wore these shoes just about every day. I wore them to my audition for school in New York. I wore them all over the streets of Manhattan. And I was wearing them the day I met my husband in Las Vegas. I adore these shoes. But all the wear and tear was really starting to show.
Even the heals were wearing thin from my pounding the pavement.
So I searched high and low for a replacement pair and as luck would have it, my new sneakers were found in my home town in Oregon. The circle of life has been complete. *wink* So to my faithful sneakers and wallet, you have served me well and have gone far above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you for your years and years of service. You will be missed.

2 comments:

Dani said...

I love that wallet!! (The new one, though I mean no disrespect to the old one).

Dad said...

Ahhhhh Taryn, not the wallet!?! Please say it ain't so. I remember you pulling that out over the years, and your right, it does make a cool "zippppp" sound when you run your fingers over it. Ohhh the memories, such good times. I hope you didn't just tosh it out! Now the shoes, yes I remember them but had no idea they were the same shoes over all these years. It WAS/IS time to let them go. But glad to see you got some of the same kind. I'll see that they keep some on hand for the next time you need some when your home.
Love ya,
Dad