Saturday, June 27, 2009

Semper Fi

Semper Fidelis is the United States Marine Corps' official motto. Translated from Latin, Semper Fidelis means "Always Faithful." This week a new class of ever faithful Marines graduated from the United States Merchant Marine Academy. Richard Alex Laszok was among those proud few who have spent the last four years devoted to studies, hard work, and perseverance. He is also a member of my family through my husband Christian and I am proud to call him my cousin.

Friends and family refer to him simply as Alex. Well, most of the time we do, although there have been those moments when other names have seemingly been more fit. Names such as, human-garbage disposal. I don't know if its just the military lifestyle or not, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone inhale banana after banana, much like how a chipmunk inhales nuts before the winter, and still he has room for two helpings of dinner.

We've also lovingly called him beast, or monster, or freak of nature. Again, I have to wonder about the military influence and if the 5 am physical training sessions Alex routinely and religiously does, plays a factor in this, but he is built like a brick! Solid, strong, and unstoppable.

But for me personally, I've always called Alex my Buddy. He has a heart of gold, and will do just about anything to see a smile on the face of his friends and family. No matter what job Alex has been given, I have never heard the slightest peep of complaint from his lips. I've seen photos of him covered head to toe in grease and oil when he worked in the bowels of a huge transportation barge. He told me it was over 100 degrees and the smell sunk into every pore, and yet in the photo, there is Alex with a huge grin on his face, loving every minute of it.

So it gives me the greatest joy to share with the world my buddy, the families freak of nature, and bottomless pit, and truly a man who is and will be "Always Faithful",

Second Lieutenant Richard Alex Laszok!We love you and are truly proud of your great accomplishment!
Congratulations!

No comments: