Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Popoolie's Visit to Jersey

This entry has been delayed due to my Aunt's passing. I wasn't really in the best mindset to post about how much fun my dad and I had while he was visiting Jersey a few weeks ago. So without further delay here are just a few images of what we did for the way too fast week that we spent together.I took my Dad out to West Caldwell and he had the chance to walk through the house that Christian and I are in the process of purchasing. (This is big news for many, I know. We haven't really talked that much about it because we've had a track record with our offers of falling through, but we're almost finished with the process and in the next few months we will call this house our home.... after it's been fixed up of course. Trust me, a lot of work will be done, but it will look beautiful when it's all done!)

I took Dad into Chinatown in NYC. We spent the day walking through crowded streets, rummaging through tiny little shops, and eating authentic Chinese food. Then I took him to Grand Central Station for a photo op, followed by Time Square for another photo location, and finally we caught the train home at Penn Station right next to Madison Square Garden.
Dad waiting for the subway in Chinatown.Looking for my ticket for the train, which we almost missed, at Penn Station.

Several months ago Dad was watching the Food Network, and saw a show titled, "Dinner's, Drive-ins, and Dives." The host was in a little hot dog place called Rutt's Hut, which is just five minutes from where I live. Dad had to stop in and see if their hot dogs were really as good as they claimed to be. Meanwhile, I had a hamburger. (Not too fond of the good ol' dog on a bun)
As a surprise for Dad, Christian and I took him down to Lancaster, Pennsylvania and spent a day visiting the Amish. We toured an Amish house and farm. We had a history lesson on how they began, how they live, and what every day life is like for them.
We saw several Amish buggies on the roads. It was pretty nifty.Christian and I posing as Amish farmers. I think Christian would still be pretty darn cute in plain Amish clothing.
I had transfer day at Seton Hall University. Dad attended with me and spent the morning walking the campus grounds as I spoke with academic advisers trying to set up classes for my Speech Pathology/Audiology and Deaf Studies degree. (However, after all this, I'll be attending a different university in the fall. But it was still nice to have Dad see a campus, even if it wasn't the one that I'll be spending my days on in the fall.)

Dad spent an afternoon taking the ferry over to Ellis Island. (I was at work while he did this, otherwise I'd post a photo from his outing. But he said it was pretty cool!)

Finally, to cap off the trip, my father-in-law John spoiled both my Dad and me by getting us tickets to a Yankee's game. We got to spend the evening cheering on the Yankee's in their brand new stadium, while they played the Oriels, and won by a landslide 11-3.
My wonderful Father-in-law decked out in Yankee gear!

The other cool thing, when we arrived at the stadium, we were unaware that it was a give-away night. The first 18,000 people to the stadium received Yankee's Baseball hats. Dad had already purchased one several days earlier, so here he is wearing the one he bought on top of the free Yankee Stadium hat.
It was great having my Dad visiting. I love having him around.

2 comments:

Dani said...

I love it when family comes to visit!! Looks like you and your dad had a great time. And I love your house! I hope that everything goes as planned. Can't wait to see all the before and after pictures!

suzanne said...

My dad has a doctorate degree in audiology and speech pathology. He ran the department at Utah State University! Didn't know you were interested in that field. Looks like you were in heaven with your dad there!