Friday, November 13, 2009

Happy Birthday Nana!

Today is my grandmother's 85th birthday! My Nana is truly one of the most amazing people I've ever known. She has always been a pillar of strength for me, and has been by my side as I walked through many of life's tough lessons. I attribute my style of cooking to her, as she was my main influence in the kitchen. (No measuring cups, we just "eye-ball it." And don't worry Nana, your broccoli salad recipe is still safe. I won't share it with a soul!) Nana's sense of humor always cracks me up, and I love to hear her laugh. When I'm homesick I crave her figure of speech, because only Nana can come up with sayings like, "It's colder than a well digger's shovel." I don't know how she does it, but she masters pretty much everything she puts her mind to. She is so creative, and such a hard worker. I remember hearing her get up at 4 a.m every morning, so that she was in the kitchen at work pealing potatoes and cracking eggs by 5 a.m. to make food for all the airmen on the base, or later all the college students she fed at OIT's campus. Nana has had a tough year, but she's pushed through chemo-therapy and radiation treatments, and still I can hear her smile on the other end of the phone when I talk with her. It's that strength with in her that I admire and hope has rubbed off on me. I love my Nana and want to be just like her some day. A truly wonderful grandmother, who baffles her grandchildren with loads energy, hard work day in and day out, an overwhelming wealth of knowledge, and an unending supply of hugs, just like my Nana!

Happy Birthday Nana! I love you!!!!!

No comments: