Sunday, April 12, 2009

Happy Easter!

What a wonderful holiday today was. The sun was shining brightly, and although the air still had a crisp edge that lingered from the past winter months, there was a strong sense of new life all around. Grandma and Grandpa Kaufman came up for Easter dinner. Christian gave up sweets for lent. Here he is, happy as a clam with a brownie after not having any cakes, cookies, or ice cream for 40 days.Our cousin Alex also made the trip for the Kaufman house to spend the afternoon with the family. He's graduating this June from the Merchant Marine Academy! We're VERY proud of him! One of the highlights of the evening. Grandma Kaufman taught Kathy and me how to crochet. Kathy took to it like a fish to water. Her practice square looked like she had been doing this for years. Mine on the other hand, lets just say, I'm going to continue to practice. hee heeHolidays are a special time that bring families together. A day which we all set aside to embrace each other and share in the joy of one another's company. I am truly blessed to have come into such a wonderful family as the Kaufman family. Their strong bond with each other is one which I have allowed to take hold in my own life.

I love, and miss my family in Oregon, but my new family helps ease the blow that these "set aside" days can hide behind. And I know that it is merely distance in miles that are between us, not distance in love. That is something that can never be tampered with.
Easter has always been one of my favorite holidays. As a small child I always looked forward to waking up and searching all around the house for hidden eggs, and the basket filled with treats. Later on, as a teenager, it was the day I realized I could get away with wearing my favorite pastel colors and no one would tease me for it. Now, as an adult the true meaning of this day rings clear in my heart. To be able to spend the day with my family here in New Jersey, and share my love with my family back home in Oregon gives me just a preview of of the love that our Heavenly Father has for us. We are all His children. He gave us the greatest gift, the gift of His son. Every day I am humbled by my many blessings in my life. My ever growing family is my rock, and I am so grateful for what they bring into my life. In the grand scheme of things, our time here is just a blink, and so I strive every day to absorb, and learn the lessons that I need to learn so that one day I may return to live with Him, and my family for all eternity.

No comments: