Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Momentous Occasion

Why, hello there! Remember me? Yes, yes, I know it's been far too long between posts about the stupendous Kaufman family. I've learned a valuable lesson and that is, once a toddler is mobile what little free time you once had completely disappears into thin air. With that being said however, this little blog of mine has been on my mind over the last year, and I feel as though I've neglected a family member by not paying it a visit. So much has happened in that past year, including two additions to the family, my new nephews Shane and Jack, that I find myself overwhelmed trying to play catch up. I think my best bet is to start slowly with the timeline, keeping up with events as they happen, and every now and then we'll have a "flash-back" post so I can give last year's events the attention they deserve.

Recently all the Kaufmans, and when I say all, I mean ALL!... all the Kaufmans gathered together to celebrate a very rare and momentous occasion. Christian's Great Aunt Betty had a birthday. But it wasn't just any birthday, oh my no, it was her 100th birthday!

This was the first time in my life that I had ever met someone who had reached this amazing age, and I have to say that Aunt Betty makes 100 look like 80! She's articulate, witty, still gets around on her own will, and extremely sharp. She could be the poster child of how we all would want to be if we are so lucky to make it to 100.




A huge perk of her birthday was that the entire family got together for her surprise party. There were family members whom I had not seen in years, and many of which I had never met. There were stories being told as memories came spilling out, and laughter filled the room. I soaked up the warm buzz that bounced from table to table, knowing that each person in this room was special to me because they were family.



I watched as the youngest members of our family, sprinted around the room with unyielding energy, while the eldest sat peacefully watching with wise eyes. I enjoyed seeing those "ah-ha" moments when a connection was made between two people who, if they had seen each other on the street, would have walked right on by, but by retracing the family tree they saw not a stranger, but a cousin.




Family is a big thing to me. Its the most important thing in fact. So to be in a room filled to the brim with family made this girl one happy Kaufman.

No comments: