Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Birds of a feather

This winter season we've had several neighborhood visitors that are very large, and a little bit on the creepy side. I'm talking about vultures! They've been hanging around the houses and trees and really seem to enjoy the heat that is piped up through the chimneys as they perch their giant feathered body across the roof tops.While sitting in my family room, I can always tell when a giant vulture is resting on the top of the chimney because well, they're not exactly graceful birds, and I hear them trying to balance themselves on the chimney cap. (Below you can see one vulture sitting next to the cap, and the feathers of another vulture who is actually sitting on the cap to the chimney.)Here's a vulture just hanging out in the back yard. I'm telling you, these birds are impressively big!
Like a scary gang, here are five vultures just hanging out on the ridge pole of the neighbor's house directly across the street. I wouldn't want to mess with this posse.See what I mean. Creepy!
This vulture is sitting on the chimney cap, and warming his feathers. I bet he was nice a toasty up there!Oh no! I've been spotted! (I still think they're creepy!) RUN AWAY!!! AHHHH!

1 comment:

Dani said...

First off, I've decided you're not allowed to post until it's a baby post. :) And secondly, the song from Jungle Book is now in my head that the vultures sing. They were pretty friendly... just think of them and maybe these real guys won't seem so creepy!